Monday, February 05, 2007

old man

I was meeting a friend for lunch today at a popular local's restaurant. and while I was waiting a older man (hearing aid, cane)
came and sat next to me.The bench was plenty enough for 2 but there was a stack of newspapers and so when he sat we were shoulder to shoulder.I'm a space person.(don't tail gate me and don't get up on me in the checkout line :) Don't get in my space! this was too close. We were both waiting for tables. As I sat there, he just blurted out "my wife passed away" oh, i am so sorry i said. "its ok, she was sick for 5 years and died on december 31st" i didn't know what to say. I wasn't sure if he was for real, i mean my gut feeling wasn't going for it. anyway he went on to talk about the desserts in the case and how he was a diabetic and couldn't eat them. anyway, he got called to a table and as he was getting up he said "are you alone?" i said no i was waiting for a friend. (i think he wanted me to join him)
i went up to the hostess and asked what his story was, i mean did his wife just die? was he lonely? was he a regular? yes to all the questions. my friend showed up and we got our table. as we were eating the older man was leaving and he walked by and waved. i don't know why i had a funny feeling about him, and yet i felt sorry for him. if it had been a woman i think i would have talked to her more. why is that? why did i have a funny (strange not ha ha) feeling about him?

5 comments:

Anny said...

because you're not supposed to dump on total strangers. it's creepy and i woulda been creeped out too - even tho it may kinda be sad.

wheresmymind said...

Old people creep me out! Figures that I'd have to pick a condo complex full of 'em. They've told my wife they think I'm 'shy', it's really because I have zippo desire to have conversations with 'em *shrug*
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KOdjKyjQI3M

The Dummy said...

I don't know anyone who wouldn't be a little weirded out by it. But in my experience, he was someone who needed to reach out to another human being. Just look at all the open-ended hooks he left to start out a conversation. They're not exactly the best conversation starters though.

Tink said...

Anny's right... I understand he was lonely and just looking for a listening ear. But it's still creepy. Especially when you're ALONE.

* meish * said...

even with your penchant for chatting with older people, this does sound kinda weird. it's one thing to make small talk with a complete stranger, but another to talk about your wife having passed away and being diabetic, and then asking if you were alone!